Hugh B. Lynn, a retired pediatric surgeon, died Nov. 10, 2015, at age 101. Dr. Lynn served in the U.S. Army during World War II, attaining the rank of major. A member of the first generation of surgeons to specialize in pediatric surgery, he pioneered several experimental surgeries for children born with severe birth defects and developed techniques geared to childhood needs, many still in use today. He was at various points in his career professor of surgery at the University of Alabama School of Medicine, surgeon-in-chief at Louisville Children’s Hospital, and head of the Department of Pediatric Surgery at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. Preceded in death by a son, he is survived by his wife, Lillian, a daughter, a son, two grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

William B. MacGuire Jr., a retired internist, died July 11, 2015, at age 99. Dr. MacGuire served in the U.S. Air Force during World War II, first as a group flight surgeon for the Reconnaissance Command in Meridian, Miss., then as flight surgeon for the Troop Carrier Command in the South Pacific. He was awarded the Philippine Liberation Medal with Bronze Star and several combat unit citations. Early in his career he was one of the first physicians to perform diagnostic transdermal needle biopsies of the liver and lung. A member of the Chattanooga Hamilton County Medical Society, the American Medical Association, and the American College of Physicians, he was co-founder of the Diagnostic Center of Chattanooga, Tenn. He also served on the board of directors of the American Red Cross. A man of great energy, at the age of 97 he was still playing his beloved game, golf, walking the course and carrying his own bag of clubs. Preceded in death by his wives, Mae, Muriel, and Velma, he is survived by a daughter, three sons, 12 grandchildren, and
18 great-grandchildren.

Edwin Wortham IV, a retired ophthalmologist, died Jan. 2, 2016. He was 98. Dr. Wortham served as a doctor in the U.S. Navy during World War II, taking part in and treating the wounded on D-Day in Normandy. He pursued a private ophthalmology practice for more than 40 years in San Leandro, Calif. One of the co-founders of Laurel Grove Hospital in Castro Valley, he served on the staff of Memorial Hospital and Doctors’ Hospital in San Leandro and Eden Hospital in Castro Valley. Preceded in death by his first wife, Georgene, he is survived by his second wife, Dorothy, and her six children. Dr. Wortham was a generous supporter of P&S, where he established the Marion H. and Edward Wortham III Memorial Scholarship Fund.

Michael S. Bruno, professor emeritus of clinical medicine at New York University and longtime chair of the Department of Medicine at Lenox Hill Hospital, died Nov. 16, 2015. Dr. Bruno was Lenox Hill’s chair of medicine for 35 years, president of the hospital’s medical board for four terms, and a member of the board of trustees and joint conference committee for 24 years. He also served as associate dean for education and as a member of the Lenox Hill Corporation. He is credited with helping build Lenox Hill into the teaching hospital and tertiary care center it is today. In 1978 Dr. Bruno gave approval for Dr. Simon Stertzer to perform the first balloon angioplasty in the United States. He served in the U.S. Army, stationed in Japan following World War II. He was a loyal supporter of his medical alma mater. Preceded in death by his wife, Ida, he is survived by his partner, Maria Goode Schwartz, two daughters, a son, four grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.

Walter E. “Terry” Ogilvie, a retired internist, died Nov. 29, 2015. Dr. Ogilvie served in the U.S. Navy. He pursued a private medical practice for more than 30 years in Asheville, N.C., where he was affiliated with Mission and St. Joseph’s hospitals. Upon his retirement he played a key role in establishing the College for Seniors at the University of North Carolina. An accomplished photographer, he maintained his own darkroom and was one of the co-founders of the f/32 Gallery devoted to photography. He is survived by three nieces.

Retired internist Robert Stragnell died Oct. 22, 2015. Dr. Stragnell pursued a private medical practice, first in Arcadia, Calif., then in Prescott, Ariz., where in addition to his activity in local medical organizations he served a term as president of the Phippen Museum of Western Art and curated and wrote gallery guides to several exhibitions. He served in the U.S. Navy. Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth, three daughters, three sons, 12 grandchildren, and 10 great-grandchildren.

Arik Brissenden, a retired psychiatrist, died Jan. 6, 2016, from complications of Parkinson’s disease. He was 89. Dr. Brissenden served in the U.S. Army during the Korean conflict. Later pursuing a private practice in psychiatry on Long Island, he served as head of the Department of Psychiatry at Brooklyn Hospital and Stony Brook University. Dr. Brissenden retired to Boulder, Colo. He is survived by his wife, Sally, three children, and five grandchildren.

Alan Frank, a retired psychiatrist who specialized in treating college students, died June 16, 2015. A member of the faculty in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Colorado, he served as head of the psychiatric division of the Student Health Service. Upon his retirement he volunteered as a consultant to Family Counseling Services, Job Corps, and the Peace Corps Training Site in Bozeman, Mont. He is survived by his wife, Anita, two daughters, a son, and a grandson.

Milford Fulop, the Gertrude and David Feinson Professor of Medicine Emeritus and the longest serving faculty member at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, where an annual lecture has been established in his name, died Nov. 26, 2015. He served as a medical officer in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean conflict. Dr. Fulop helped to develop the residency program in the Department of Medicine at Bronx Municipal Hospital Center (now Jacobi Medical Center), where he later served as acting chair of medicine. He pursued whole-animal studies on the renal excretion of bilirubin and phosphate and clinical research on acid-base disturbances in patients with pulmonary edema and patients with alcoholic and diabetic ketoacidosis. Survivors include his wife, Christine Lawrence’56,
the Distinguished University Professor Emerita at Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He is also survived by a daughter and a son, both physicians, and four grandchildren.

Howard L. Kantor died suddenly Aug. 13, 2015, of a stroke. Dr. Kantor served as a private in the U.S. Army during World War II and as a captain in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean conflict. Pursuing a private pediatrics practice in Syosset, N.Y., he later moved to Huntington, N.Y., where he specialized in allergy-immunology. Dr. Kantor served a term as president of the Nassau Suffolk Allergy Society of New York. A sculptor, painter, and gardener in his free time, he is survived by his wife, Gloria, two daughters (including Lauren Gorman’77), a son, and seven grandchildren (including Rachel Lisa Berkowitz’09).

Arthur Malin, a retired clinical professor of psychiatry at UCLA, died Oct. 26, 2015. He was 90. He served in the U.S. Air Force. A former member of the Beverly Hills Board of Education, he also served on the board of directors of Vista del Mar Child and Family Services. He is survived by his wife, Naomi, a son, Barnet Malin’80, and two grandchildren.

Munro H. Proctor, a retired cardiologist, died Sept. 14, 2015. He served as an Army medic in Europe during World War II. One of New Hampshire’s first board-certified cardiologists, Dr. Proctor was a co-founder of the Concord Clinic (now Dartmouth Hitchcock Clinic-Concord). He also served as president of the staff at Concord Hospital, co-director of the cardiology and cardiac rehabilitation service, and co-founder of the New Hampshire Society of Cardiac Rehabilitation. Later in his career he committed considerable time and effort to pro bono health care at home and abroad, working with Project Hope and at Sage Memorial Hospital on the Navajo Nation Reservation in Ganado, Ariz., where he helped train medical staff. Upon retiring from his clinical practice in 1989, Dr. Proctor joined the World Health Organization in Geneva, serving on a traveling team of doctors addressing various health care needs in the Third World. At age 65 he enrolled in the Boston University School of Public Health, where he earned an MPH in 1992, then devoted several months of each year for 15 consecutive years as a volunteer physician, running a maternal/child health clinic and in various preventive medicine initiatives in Cameroon. In 1997, he and a colleague initiated a micro-credit program, KWIHEED/WINHEEDCAM, now run by, which provides small loans to families in the developing world. In an alumni questionnaire, he referred to this as his proudest achievement. Considering that the average family in sub-Saharan Africa has five children, he estimated that the program had benefited about 375,000 people. At Boston University, where he joined the faculty as associate professor of medicine, he co-founded a consortium of medical schools to facilitate overseas course electives. He also was active with Physicians for Human Rights. Preceded in death by his wife, Julia, he is survived by his partner, Patty Irish.

Vincent P. Perna, a retired pathologist, died Oct. 28, 2015. Dr. Perna served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and as an Army medical officer during the Korean conflict. He was a former instructor in the Department of Pathology at P&S and at the University of Missouri. He worked for some years at Clinical Laboratories in St. Louis then at SmithKline Clinical Laboratories, where he served as national medical director and director of research and development. Survivors include his wife, Jane, two daughters, and
a grandchild.

Alfred A. Azzoni, a retired general and thoracic surgeon, died Oct. 23, 2015. Dr. Azzoni served during World War II in the U.S. Marines as a member of Company B, 5th Medical Battalion of the 5th Marine Division FMF on Iwo Jima. He was awarded two Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star, and a presidential citation. He is survived by his wife, Janet, two daughters, and a son.

John Lunt, a retired general surgeon, died Nov. 18, 2015, at age 87. He served as a physician in the U.S. Army, stationed in Berlin. Dr. Lunt served for many years as chief of surgery at Swedish and Porters Hospital (now Porter Adventist) in Denver, Colo., and as president of the Arapahoe County Medical Society. After he moved to Saratoga, Wyo., he became a family practitioner and founded the Platte Valley Regional Health Care Center. In 2012 he was named the Wyoming Medical Society Physician of the Year. Also active in nature conservancy and wildlife preservation, he was the 2009 recipient of the Kurt Bucholz Conservation Award. Survivors include his wife, Susannah, a daughter, four sons (including John Lunt’86), and numerous grandchildren.

Anneliese L. Sitarz, professor emeritus of clinical pediatrics at P&S and one of the founding investigators of the Children’s Cancer Group at the NIH, died Oct. 3, 2015. A pioneering clinical oncologist, Dr. Sitarz trained at Babies Hospital (now NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital), where she later joined the staff. In a landmark paper published in 1965, of which she was the lead author, Dr. Sitarz documented that patients with solid tumors could benefit from chemotherapy that had been used to treat leukemia. A compassionate clinician attuned to the suffering of children as well as the science of the field, she ran a program for many years called “Parents Caring for Children with Cancer,” at which a pediatric oncologist and a psychologist met once a month for a question and answer session with patients’ parents. Among many other accomplishments, she computerized a pediatric tumor registry running from 1948 to the mid-1980s, the oldest in the country. Reflecting on her career, she once wrote: “I can think of nothing more rewarding than to have been able to play a decisive role in increasing the survival of the many children with these terrible diseases.” At an event organized in her honor upon her retirement, P. Roy Vagelos’54 saluted his classmate as “an all-around great doctor: a wonderful pediatric oncologist, loved by patients and their parents and grandparents, a great investigator, an important educator.” Retired pediatric surgeon John Schullinger’55, a friend and longtime colleague, recalled her “dedication to a specialty which by its very nature attracts few physicians, and those it does attract must have those exceptional qualities of empathy, courage, and the emotional stamina to endure and persevere.” Dr. Schullinger cited her “caring approach to patients, her meticulous attention to detail, and her interest in everything that had to do with pediatric oncology, including surgery. Anneliese,” he concluded, “you have been the good doctor in every sense of the word.” Dr. Sitarz was among the women honored in 2005 in an exhibition at the National Library of Medicine titled “Changing the Face of Medicine: Celebrating America’s Women Physicians.”

Retired surgeon Howard R. “Skip” Nay died Oct. 6, 2015, following a stroke. He served in the U.S. Air Force Medical Corps, stationed in Ankara, Turkey. A former member of the clinical faculty in the Department of Surgery at P&S, he served for many years as senior attending surgeon and chief of the surgery “A” service at St. Luke’s Hospital in New York. Preceded in death by his wife, Geraldine, he is survived by three daughters and four grandchildren.

Michael F. Bryson, a retired pediatrician, died Nov. 22, 2015. He served in the U.S. Air Force and continued in the reserves, retiring with the rank of colonel. A longtime member of the clinical faculty in the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Rochester/Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, N.Y., he later practiced occupational medicine as a physician at the Eastman Kodak Company. After moving to Bronxville, N.Y., he served as a member of the volunteer teaching staff at the Westchester Medical Center. Preceded in death by his first wife, Barbara, he is survived by his second wife, Laura, a daughter, six sons, and 15 grandchildren.

Harvey Zarem, a noted retired plastic surgeon, died Nov. 1, 2015, at age 83. Professor of surgery emeritus and chairman emeritus of plastic surgery at St. John’s Hospital, an affiliate of UCLA School of Medicine, he was cited in 1999 in Town and Country Magazine’s directory of top cosmetic surgeons in the United States. Following many years of private practice in Santa Monica, Dr. Zarem shifted his home and base of operations to his native Savannah, Ga. He is credited with helping pioneer many surgical techniques in common use today, including liposuction and reconstructive post-cancer surgery of the breast. He also was known for his innovative approaches to eyelid surgery and treatment of vascular malformations in infants and children. He is survived by his wife, Beth, three daughters, and three sons.

Eleanor M. Townsend died Dec. 2, 2015. A retired member of the clinical faculty in the Department of Psychiatry at P&S, she served for many years as director of the Harlem Center for Child Study. Dr. Townsend also served as a psychiatry consultant to Prisoners’ Legal Services. Survivors include her husband, Monroe Chasson, two daughters, and three grandchildren.

Joseph C. Dreyfus III, an internist specializing in endocrinology, died Sept. 26, 2015. Dr. Dreyfus was a member of the clinical faculty in the Department of Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College. He is survived by his wife, Susan, two daughters, two sons, and four grandchildren.

Russell N. DeJong Jr., an obstetrician/gynecologist who taught at the Maine Dartmouth Family Practice Residency Program, died Jan. 30, 2016. He previously taught at the University of Washington, where he promoted innovative programs to deliver women’s health care to the underserved. He also served as medical director of the Family Planning Association of Maine and worked with the Maine Medical Association on projects concerning quality of care, safety, and justice in medical care. He received, among many honors, a citation from the National Abortion Federation, saluting his commitment to reproductive freedom and meeting the needs of women from all backgrounds. His is survived by his wife, Janetha, a daughter, and a son.

Other Alumni Deaths
Ira Snow Jones’43
Robert L. Spitzer’66 PSY